After all the madness from Memorial Day weekend over, we thought for sure we’d be able to paint the walls over the week- and get everything squared away for laying the floor. But with Dan working 60 hours in four days, and a bit of exhaustion from our first bout, it was the following weekend before we got everything taped and ready for painting the walls.
But we did get it painted. every square inch of the kitchen was covered first with the spray painter, then the spots that needed a little more work (divots, bumps, etc.) were sanded, mudded or patched, and we did another coat on the problem areas. It was all looking gorgeous:
Except for when the tape came off:
I’ve read every contradicting opinion about peeling tape while the paint is wet, dry, semi-dry, etc. The truth is, I think I’ve tried to do it in every stage, and somehow, it just never works out for me. This time, anywhere that was taped and only sprayed, peeled perfectly – with a beautiful edge and no problems whatsoever – but near the ceiling, where I had to go over it with a brush to get a clean edge due to the angle of the sprayer, the paint stuck together in peel-able layers and caused problems like the one above.
So, the following week, I had to go back around and freehand the edge with a brush, and I was pretty successful in not painting green on the ceiling, much better with the Purdy brush than I’d done the first few times around ceilings in my condo (which is another reason why we really want to do crown molding!)
So now, we’re painted, spent a weekend last weekend relaxing, and our next steps are doing a bit of clean up with the contractor and then FLOORING!
I can’t wait to actually start putting things back INTO the kitchen!